Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Cardiology Visit

Today Tanek went to see the cardiologist to evaluate the heart murmur his pediatrician found during his 2 year old checkup. His pediatrician is Dr. Massias and she is great! I'm still not sure how she heard the murmur with his screaming so loudly, but she was correct with what she suspected. Anyway, today we went to the Congenital Heart Center at Shands and Tanek saw Dr. Victorica. I cannot say enough about how good he was with Tanek! Normally, there is a lot of screaming and crying as soon as Tanek sees a stethoscope, but he did not cry at all today! Well, he cried just a little bit during the EKG, but I think that was mostly because the electrodes were cold. Dr. Victorica examined him after the EKG was done and somehow Tanek stayed still, quiet, and calm throughout it all. When he went to have the echocardiogram done, they put the movie "Cars" on for him to watch while I sat next to him holding his hand, and he did perfectly!
Tanek has a very small ventricular septal defect (VSD) which is a hole between the ventricles. It is so small that they couldn't even see the actual hole, just the blood flowing back through the defect. And, apparently the new recommendations from the American Heart Association are that he won't even need prophylactic antibiotics for dental procedures! He'll just need excellent dental care (which we've already started taking him to a great pediatric dentist). So, it was all good news and all of our prayers were answered!

These are some pictures of Tanek at his visit today. He had a fruit bar between his exam and echo since he was being such a good boy! Between playing with his cars and eating his fruit bars (which are his favorite thing to eat), I think he had a fairly fun time at the clinic today!

2 comments:

Nana said...

Tanek,
You were such a big brave boy at the Dr. today and you had a lot to go through. I am so thankful you got such a good report. It really was a big answer to all our prayers. I am glad I got to be with you and see you be so brave.
I love you,
Nana

Florida Girl said...

We really like Dr. Victorica too. We have had to visit him on several occasions with my oldest son, Todd. Todd had a murmur when he was a baby and Tanek's age too. The murmur left years later but Todd began experiencing other issues at 12 years old but those issues have since stopped. We always lean way in to make sure we hear and understand the doctor. His accent is thick and I don't want to misunderstand him on something so serious. I am so glad that Tanek's report was good.