Monday, December 13, 2010

ICE! 2010

Today we went to the ICE! and SNOW! festivals at the Gaylord Palms Resort. Tanek has been wanting to see real snow so he could throw snowballs in real life (not just on the Wii), so today he got to see it all....and feel the cold that comes with it.

Everyone gets a blue parka before going in to the ICE arena because it is kept at 9 degrees.

It's hard to tell who is who when everyone is wearing the same thing, but I could distinguish between Tanek and the bear pretty easily.


The ice sculptures told the story "Twas the Night before Christmas". The sculptures were really amazing with the amount of detail and color that they had. I can't imagine how the artists accomplished all of these sculptures, and how did they do it without having their fingers fall off from the cold?!

It was a very impressive site to see! The ice used for the sculptures is specially made just for this event, and artisans come from China to create the sculptures. In order to make the colors consistent throughout, the water must be stirred constantly while it is being frozen - very interesting, but I'd hate to have that job!


Can you imagine how much all of this ice must weigh? I would hate to think how much it must cost to keep the building cold enough to keep the ice from melting.


I think this Christmas story will always bring special memories for Tanek. Whenever we read it, he can think of when he walked through the story, larger than life, in the ice!

My camera battery died before we made it too far into the story, but here are a few more.










They had some really cool ice slides, too, but I couldn't get pictures of them. I'm sure some pics will be up on my Mom's blog, though. Once Tanek discovered the slides, the cold didn't bother him anymore...all he could think about was going down the slide again! But, eventually, we had to stop sliding so we could go play in the snow! He had a blast playing in the snow and throwing snowballs at Mommy and Nana! He did decide he would rather live where he could play in the pool more than where he could play in the snow, though!

4 comments:

Nana said...

You posted the Ice pictures and I started with the snow pictures. It was a lot of fun and Tanek will remember it for a long time. It was sure cold though and I am glad to be wrapped up in my warm blanket tonight.

Tonya said...

What an awesome trip! Colorful and unique!

Anonymous said...

Looks like Tanek had a wonderful time in the ice and snow. I loved the blue suit!

EPatterson26 said...

Hello-

I was wondering if you accept guest posts? I have an article/event that I would like to submit that is about dancing and how it relates to fitness. Primrose Schools is hosting a Dance Off competition (with proceeds going the Children's Miracle Network Hospitals) for families and I think it is something you and your readers would enjoy!

I look forward to hearing from you!

Thank you,
Emily Patterson
epatterson@primroseschools.com