Friday we landed at Nassau mid-morning. We watched our arrival from our window instead of up on deck because Tanek was still asleep. This is a picture I took from the window of our room as we were getting closer to the island.

We woke Tanek up when we were closer to land so he could watch the ship come into port. He was quite excited and bouncing all over the place. I think his favorite thing to do in the room was climb up onto the window ledge and jump from the window to the couch - I think he only bumped his head once or twice when he fell off, though.

Here is a view of the ship from the port. I think we were the first ship to arrive, but within a couple of hours there were four cruise ships lined up at the port.

This is the first view one has of Nassau when getting off of the ship. It is much different than it was when I was here the first time (of course that was almost 14 years ago, my how time flies)! Anyway, we weren't interested much in shopping, so we didn't bother walking around downtown Nassau. I don't think many people did since there has been an increase in tourist robberies recently. We took a taxi and headed over to Paradise Island to check out the Atlantis resort.
Here is the famous Atlantis. It is really beautiful and much, much larger than it was 14 years ago. I couldn't even tell where the original lobby entrance was. It is hard to believe that there are people who can afford to stay in the $25,000/night suite in the middle of the two towers. There is a four night minimum stay for that suite and it is booked for the next five years! Amazing, huh?

This is part of the domed ceiling in the lobby. It is hard to catch the grandeur and detail in a picture, but it is like this all the way around.

This is another area in the lobby.
There are several walls in the lobby that look into the aquarium. This was all we could look at without paying about $50/person, and Tanek was happy with this, so we didn't worry about seeing all of it.
We were able to see enough fish and stingrays to keep Tanek occupied for a good while!




What we could see of the grounds was beautiful, too. I think for about $125/person one could have access to all of the resort amenities (aquarium, grounds, waterpark, beach, etc.). Personally, I find that a little ridiculous, but I'm sure older kids and teenagers would love that!



Here is Nana and Tanek sitting in the large chair outside of the Atlantis Casino.

The marina at the Atlantis.

I think these condos are somehow part of the Atlantis, as well. I think the Atlantis must own about half of the island now. They also bought the old Club Med resort and are rebuilding/ renovating that property, too.

This shack was built as a prop for some James Bond movie.
Here are the four cruise ships. From left to right they are: Carnival Sensation, Disney Wonder, MSC Poesia (a European line), and the Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas. The Oasis of the Seas is the newest, largest cruise ship in the world.

Here are a couple of pictures of the Oasis that I snapped from the ferry back to Nassau. It looks like they have some cabins on the inside with balconies on this end of the ship, but it's hard to tell for sure. In the back were some very large rock climbing walls and either some type of ropes course or bungy jumping (or something).
Here is the side of the ship. It is truly a massive ship - not the prettiest or classiest ship, but definitely huge and impressive!

We woke Tanek up when we were closer to land so he could watch the ship come into port. He was quite excited and bouncing all over the place. I think his favorite thing to do in the room was climb up onto the window ledge and jump from the window to the couch - I think he only bumped his head once or twice when he fell off, though.

Here is a view of the ship from the port. I think we were the first ship to arrive, but within a couple of hours there were four cruise ships lined up at the port.

This is the first view one has of Nassau when getting off of the ship. It is much different than it was when I was here the first time (of course that was almost 14 years ago, my how time flies)! Anyway, we weren't interested much in shopping, so we didn't bother walking around downtown Nassau. I don't think many people did since there has been an increase in tourist robberies recently. We took a taxi and headed over to Paradise Island to check out the Atlantis resort.
Here is the famous Atlantis. It is really beautiful and much, much larger than it was 14 years ago. I couldn't even tell where the original lobby entrance was. It is hard to believe that there are people who can afford to stay in the $25,000/night suite in the middle of the two towers. There is a four night minimum stay for that suite and it is booked for the next five years! Amazing, huh?
This is part of the domed ceiling in the lobby. It is hard to catch the grandeur and detail in a picture, but it is like this all the way around.

This is another area in the lobby.
There are several walls in the lobby that look into the aquarium. This was all we could look at without paying about $50/person, and Tanek was happy with this, so we didn't worry about seeing all of it.
We were able to see enough fish and stingrays to keep Tanek occupied for a good while!



What we could see of the grounds was beautiful, too. I think for about $125/person one could have access to all of the resort amenities (aquarium, grounds, waterpark, beach, etc.). Personally, I find that a little ridiculous, but I'm sure older kids and teenagers would love that!


Here is Nana and Tanek sitting in the large chair outside of the Atlantis Casino.

The marina at the Atlantis.

I think these condos are somehow part of the Atlantis, as well. I think the Atlantis must own about half of the island now. They also bought the old Club Med resort and are rebuilding/ renovating that property, too.

This shack was built as a prop for some James Bond movie.
Here are the four cruise ships. From left to right they are: Carnival Sensation, Disney Wonder, MSC Poesia (a European line), and the Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas. The Oasis of the Seas is the newest, largest cruise ship in the world. 
Here are a couple of pictures of the Oasis that I snapped from the ferry back to Nassau. It looks like they have some cabins on the inside with balconies on this end of the ship, but it's hard to tell for sure. In the back were some very large rock climbing walls and either some type of ropes course or bungy jumping (or something).
Here is the side of the ship. It is truly a massive ship - not the prettiest or classiest ship, but definitely huge and impressive!






No comments:
Post a Comment